US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, suggested that he start the relationship from scratch. This was reported by the American newspaper The Washington Post. According to the publication, Pompeo and the administration of President Donald Trump decided to take advantage of the completion of the case of “Russian interference in elections” to establish cooperation with Russia on a number of issues for our countries.
In particular, according to the publication, it is about arms control, the DPRK, Syria, Venezuela and Iran. At the same time, no significant changes were achieved.
Recall, Donald Trump has repeatedly said that he wants to improve relations with Russia, which is a key player in almost all international issues. However, in practice, Moscow saw steps only in the opposite direction.
It is noteworthy that the Russian media did not report anything about Pompeo’s proposals to Putin. However, some negotiators gave an assessment of the meeting results. So, the head of the SVR Sergey Naryshkin said that it took place in a good, professional atmosphere. He added that the parties showed mutual understanding and tried to find points of contact.
The revanchist forces in Tokyo have forgotten about the country’s postwar commitments.
A number of experts at the same time believe that the trip to Pompeo was a preparatory step for the future meeting of the American and Russian presidents next month at the G20 summit in Osaka, the prospect of which was already announced by Trump. True, the Kremlin noted that Moscow had not yet received a request for negotiations.
Professor of Moscow State University Doctor of Political Sciences Andrei Manoylo believes that such a proposal on the part of Trump is quite possible.
– After the end of the investigation Muller for Trump opened new opportunities: he seized the initiative from his pursuers and is now trying to catch up. At one time, Obama offered Russia a “reset”, but nothing happened. Now, Trump, perhaps, wants it to come out, and in order to wipe Obama and the Democrats to wipe his nose.
Completion of the investigation Muller released Trump from the press charges. And this is very serious: Trump’s hands are now untied. But exactly how he will use this chance is a big question. At the talks with Lavrov and Putin, Mike Pompeo revealed Trump’s wishes: stop supporting Maduro, support the US position on Iran, and in Libya, too. All this is more like a new round of aggressive business negotiations than a desire to “reset” relations between Russia and the United States. Trump started the election campaign and it is important for him to look brutal and everybody is bending. It is possible that his request for a meeting with Putin in Osaka is dictated by a desire to popiarize against the background of a truly recognized and powerful leader of a world scale, like our president.
– The investigation only refuted Trump’s connection with Moscow, but not Russia’s intervention in the elections. Does this mean that the anti-Russian mood of the establishment has not gone anywhere and will not disappear in the near future?
- Of course, the anti-Russian attitude of the American elite has not gone away, and it will definitely find new reasons for the continuation of anti-Russian hysteria. The completion of the investigation of Muller is only important for Trump himself and his close relatives. For Russia, there will be no benefit from Muller’s conclusions, because Trump will not be pro-Russian one iota from this. In addition, it is important to understand that the Muller investigation confirmed the fact of the Russian intervention in the elections in the USA itself (“trolls”, contextual advertising in the FB, etc.). Russia continues to be accused of intervening, and I would be very surprised if the rehabilitated Trump does not join these accusers in the very near future, becoming one of the most violent of them.
– According to the publication, the American side explained to Vladimir Putin that it was ready to begin negotiations on problematic issues that have been worrying both Russia and the United States for a long time. How can such negotiations take place, and what will they lead to? After all, the parties have diametrically opposed views on these issues?
– Indeed, at present, there are quite a lot of problematic issues in Russian-American relations that Russia and the United States cannot solve without “full contact” remotely. Significant differences of a principled nature were noted in the positions of both countries in Venezuela, Iran, North Korea, not to mention Ukraine. At the same time, the bilateral relations themselves have reached a deep impasse.
Under these conditions, someone must take a decisive step and break the psychological block. Trump, in principle, can do it and will go down in history, if only he does not fall for his favorite language of ultimatums. After all, everyone knows that Vladimir Vladimirovich does not like ultimatums and always ultimately answers to any ultimatum (for which he has great respect – only a real president can be like that). But it is hard to believe in the sequence of Trump and his Secretary “Pompey” somehow.
Much will depend on how exactly the negotiations will take place, and exactly what formula Trump has prepared for them. If Trump tries to repeat the way he talked to Kim Jong-un in Hanoi (that is, he will immediately begin by presenting categorical, mandatory requirements), then obviously nothing will come of such a “clean slate”. If he arrives for the sake of the external effect, to make good PR, the result will be the same. But there is also an understanding that it is precisely now that Trump needs Russia at least to act as a buffer in negotiations with China, with North Korea, and not only with them.
– What are the US and Russia could still find points of contact, and how it would affect the restoration of our relationship?
– It would be nice to find common ground in the area called “common sense”. The US clearly lacks common sense in their foreign policy: they put their hands in Iran, the DPRK, and Venezuela, although they themselves don’t have to mess around at all: they don’t feed people with geopolitical games. Russia, on the other hand, has unique opportunities to solve problematic issues with these states peacefully, through negotiations and soft power, since it has never been the aggressor.
The United States, despite its might and aplomb, has something to learn from Russia, and good relations with it can become the basis of a new architecture of international security and stability. And Putin, one of the strongest politicians in the world, I am sure, could give Trump several master classes in world politics, completely free of charge. Just to teach how to live in peace with other countries, civilizations and cultures. Therefore, we will hope for the best, but at the same time do not build illusions.
– The Washington Post, along with the New York Times, is conducting an information war against Trump, – said Andrei Tikhonov, an expert at the Center for Political Analysis.
– The newspaper was repeatedly exposed last year in the creation of anti-Trump fake news. With high probability, and this information is fake, directed against the owner of the White House. Indeed, in modern America, a system politician cannot cooperate with the Russian Federation if he is not a suicide. There is no such option. It’s just screwing up the image of the pro-Russian politician, that’s all. Russian mass media used to indulge in this too, but now it’s just embarrassing to make such stuffing.
Will 120 thousand American soldiers be able to “pacify” Tehran according to the Iraqi scenario?
– Trump can offer Putin talks on many problematic issues. In particular, they talked about arms control, Venezuela and Iran …
– Negotiations on Iran and Venezuela are needed to Trump with one goal – to force Russia to make concessions and receive foreign policy dividends. Elections are not far off, and the US president needs to show voters at least some success. Russia has no such negotiations.
– Can we expect the meeting of the presidents, and most importantly, will it bring at least some results?
- This is a common diplomatic practice. Points of contact are sought in any negotiations. But between modern Russia and the United States there are no such points. Therefore, the meeting of the presidents is unlikely to happen.