Production of the Prometheus S-500 anti-aircraft missile systems begins in Russia. Head of the state corporation “Rostec” Sergey Chemezov in the program “Actors with Nailya Asker-zade” on the channel “Russia 1” said next:
– In parallel, a new modern weapon is being created. And if, for example, today we already have the opportunity to sell the S-400, today we are starting to manufacture the S-500. This is a more modern complex. I would not like to talk about him now, it is still not in service. I think that in the near future it will appear, – said the head of “Rostec ”.
Chemezov stressed that currently the ZRS systems are being tested. However, he did not disclose details of the characteristics of the C-500, only clarified that its range will be higher than that of its predecessor – the C-400 complex.
Earlier, the first deputy general designer of the Almaz-Antey concern, Sergei Druzin, spoke about some of the capabilities of the complex.
- This is a fundamentally new generation system. The basis of the location means of this system are locators built on the basis of active phased arrays in which there is no transmitting device – the signal is formed by the antenna itself. <…> The C-500 has an expanded type of targets. The system can also be used to combat ballistic targets of all types. This required both an increase in the energy potential of the location means and the creation of new missiles that can work outside the atmosphere, where aerodynamic control is impossible, – said Druzin.
In fact, the C-500 is a full-fledged short-range missile defense system. That is what distinguishes it from the C-400. In May 2018, the American television channel CNBC, citing intelligence sources, reported that the C-500 had successfully hit an air target over a distance of over 480 km, setting an absolute world record. Western analysts believe that Prometheus is capable of intercepting missiles, aircraft and satellites at a range of up to 500–600 km.
The Prometheus will be armed with 77N6-H and 77N6-H1 hypersonic missiles, as well as a 40N6 missile, the tactical and technical characteristics of which Almaz-Antey published on the Army-2018 forum.
40N6 is designed to intercept modern bombers, including stealth technology, fighters, strategic UAVs, high-precision missiles, including cruise and hypersonic. Also, an anti-aircraft guided missile can destroy ballistic missiles flying at a speed of 4800 m / s.
According to experts, the S-500 will be a major help for the Moscow missile defense system. And since the S-500 system is mobile, it can be placed in other key areas.
Analysts believe that we do not need to cover the entire territory of the country – it is enough to cover large cities: Yekaterinburg, Krasnoyarsk, Novosibirsk, and in the south Krasnodar, Stavropol, Rostov-on-Don. Plus cover Central Industrial Area, which is a major agglomeration.
Theoretically, we can cover all these cities and districts with the S-500. Then, in the event of a US nuclear strike (with the current number of warheads and carriers), we will be able to reduce our losses to the level of the Great Patriotic War.
This means that for the United States the very possibility of any coercive pressure on Russia disappears. And it breaks all the plans of America to achieve military superiority.
- The exact characteristics of the S-500 were not disclosed – only the data that is given in the open press are called, – said the deputy of the State Duma of the third and fourth convocations, retired colonel Viktor Alksnis. – They are, in my opinion, advertising. How these characteristics correspond to reality – life will show.
I am worried about another point: the ability of our industry to produce a sufficient amount of air defense systems. At the heart of the S-500 complex is electronics. So, the question arises: is the current electronic industry able to “pull” the release of the necessary equipment?
On June 25, it became known that the Russian government could abandon the serial production of Glonass-K spacecraft. The reason is the restrictions on the purchase of foreign components and the inability to quickly manufacture Russian counterparts.
As follows from the draft amendments to the federal budget for 2019 and the planned period 2020-2021 (adopted by the State Duma on first reading on June 18), the costs of the federal program “Maintaining, developing and using the GLONASS system” will be reduced by 12.9 billion rubles. At the same time, 7 billion rubles will be spent on the formation of a “safety stock of the electronic component base of foreign production,” including the manufacture of 11 Glonass-K2 spacecraft.
I should note that even in the Soviet period, our electronics were 5–10 years behind the West. Since then, the industry has hardly made a breakthrough. And this causes, I repeat, there are a lot of questions about the S-500.
It’s one thing to make several sets of S-500s – this is our shoulder. But if you cover the whole territory of the Russian Federation with such a system, many dozens and even hundreds of complexes are required. This is a task of a completely different level of complexity, and huge money is required for it.
– Do you think we do not have enough money for the “defense”?
– In 2019, a significant reduction in the military budget has already taken place – a number of rearmament programs have been curtailed. Also the next fact is indicative. On May 15, Vladimir Putin announced the purchase by the Ministry of Defense of 76 of the newest Su-57 fighters, which should be put into service by three aviation regiments by 2028. The contract is estimated at up to 170 billion rubles, which makes it the largest in aviation history.
So, let me remind you that even the state armament program for 2011–2020 provided for the purchase of 52 Su-57 fighter jets. But due to the unstable economic situation, the first contract for a couple of Su-57 was signed only in August 2018. By its terms, the first car will be handed over to the military in 2019, another will be given in 2020.
It turns out, from 2021 to 2028 our industry will produce 74 “Sukhoi”. That is, at 9.25 fighter per year – apparently, this is its ceiling.
Now back to the S-500: the complex is much more complicated than the Su-57. How can we release dozens of dozens a year, even if this is not possible with fighters?
– We can, having covered the S-500 key cities and regions of the country, to obtain strategic invulnerability in the event of a nuclear strike by the United States?
– We have already moved from the Soviet continuous air defense system, which covered almost the entire territory of the country, to the focal air defense. Today, only command centers, areas of deployment of strategic forces, and bases of our nuclear submarines are covered.
The only thing we managed to restore was a continuous radar field along the borders of the Russian Federation. But there is no need to ensure a solid field over all of Russia.
Providing missile defense even for the populated European part of the Russian Federation is even more difficult. For this, in my opinion, hundreds of S-500 complexes are needed.
Therefore, I doubt that with the help of the S-500 we will manage to change the balance of power with the United States. To do this, you need to invest huge amounts of money in the production of air defense systems, and build up a powerful production base.
Now we have neither one nor the other. Against this background, bravura statements about the unprecedented power of the S-500 are perceived as public relations.