The Security Council of the Russian Federation warned: the United States can use imaginary cyber attacks from abroad as casus belli.
The United States is preparing to use imaginary cyber attacks as a pretext for starting wars. Including even the use of nuclear weapons. About this in an interview with “Rossiyskaya Gazeta” said Deputy Secretary of the Security Council of Russia Oleg Hramov.
According to him, the Americans intend to adhere to the concept of “Name and shame”, in which a group of countries will issue a verdict on the guilt of a state in committing cyber attacks. This method of identifying its source is called “collective attribution.”
True, the details of this technique are not disclosed. That means talking about its reliability is not necessary, I am sure — said Khramov. This is somewhat reminiscent of the notorious case of the Skripals, where both the victims and the evidence of either an imaginary or real attack are classified. And the West’s high-likely blames Russia, the Kremlin, and personally the Vladimir Putin.
- The goal is clear – to legalize the possibility of conducting not only informational, but also military operations against” inconvenient “states, up to the use of nuclear arsenals, – the deputy secretary of the Security Council explained. It seems that the last circumstance in the Russian Security Council is alarmed in earnest.
What are the options for a military response by the Russian Federation to the possible deployment of US medium-range missiles in Europe?
Recall: in June, The New York Times wrote that the US intelligence agencies are trying to introduce malicious software into Russia’s energy systems. Despite Donald Trump’s denial of such attacks, Moscow then confirmed that Russian strategic targets were constantly being attacked from abroad. If it’s not the Americans who attack, then who?
A member of the Security Council cited statistics. In 2018, the number of coordinated attacks on critical Russian infrastructure exceeded 17 thousand. In general, over the year 4.3 billion “informational impacts” were recorded on it. Scary figure! It seems that the whole country is only doing what is fighting off the “adversary” on the Web.
An expert in the field of information security, the head of the Zecurion analytical center, Vladimir Ulyanov, does not see the technical possibility of clearly and quickly tracking the culprit of a cyber attack.
Means for restoring performance during physical and mental overload. To learn more…
There are contraindications. It is necessary to consult with a specialist.
– You need to understand that the insane number of attacks that are registered – 4.3 billion, is due to the methodology that is used to register them. We are talking about automated attempts.
For example, the computer was given the task of picking up a password for a certain system. It sends 20 requests per second and receives responses. This is already 20 attempts.
If we talk about organized attacks, then their number, of course, is less.
– Nevertheless, we have never had any blackouts …
– Serious attacks are occasionally heard. For example, on our banks. From time to time, we hear about data leaks from them. And imagine what will happen if the ATMs of the same Sberbank cease to work? This is a threat to the economic security of the whole country.
Therefore, the prevention of such attacks is not only a corporate task, but the whole state. This must be fought.
In fact, the most urgent threat right now is not hacker attempts to hack servers and steal something. And the possibility of a leak when information is passed on to third parties, organizations, is themselves employees of commercial or government agencies. After all, these people already have legal access to information. It remains only to fix it – for example, take a picture of the screen.
– This could be information related to access to infrastructure? But such questions may turn out to be of a military nature.
– Indeed, now almost all systems, one way or another, are tied to electronic control. Including – with access to the Internet. Is it dangerous. But in many such systems, for example, at power facilities, utilities, water supply, there is usually a duplicating mechanical system – a knife switch, a valve. Which you just need to turn. This partly saves.
Recall: Americans have long stated that they reserve the right to respond with real military force to cyber attacks.
And this is very risky, since it is not always possible to understand who is behind this or that cyber attack?
The attacker can be in one country, use the servers in another, to attack the third. To unravel this whole chain, to find a specific artist, especially a customer, is very difficult. Although on the web all the “moves” are recorded. Each server has data, where did the information come from? Where was it transferred? Obtaining this data, all the more so, is operational and problematic. Since these chains are divided between different providers that can sit in different countries.
– That is, until the true author of the cyberattack becomes clear – time will pass. But can the US instantly use it as an excuse to start hostilities?
– In history, there are cases when various provocations were used as an excuse for a real war. Recall that the Germans in August 1939, disguised as Polish soldiers, staged an attack on a radio station in the city of Gleivitz. What was the formal reason for the invasion of the Wehrmacht in Poland and for the outbreak of World War II.
According to Konstantin Blokhin, an expert at the Center for Security Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, what is happening has a deep theoretical foundation.
– The United States is striving to achieve the so-called “full spectrum of domination”. This means that, in addition to prevailing in the classical three environments: on earth, in water and in the air, they also need leadership in space and cyberspace. American, and our analysts, too, believe that a future war will take place precisely in cyberspace. Because it’s scary to fight with conventional weapons.
At the same time, cyber weapons can be equated almost to weapons of mass destruction. Is it a joke if you can turn off the whole city from the power supply with one button!
In the USA, they are proud and often like to remind that under Barack Obama they used the Stuxnet virus. Which they managed to introduce in Iran and thereby sabotage, or at least postpone, the country’s nuclear program. So now, Americans will invest huge amounts of money in cyberspace, trying to overtake their competitors. First of all, China.
Another justification for boosting spending on cyber war was allegedly Russian interference in the US electoral process. Violent neocons write that in response to this kind of intervention, America should react with almost nuclear weapons. Articles are published under the heading Electronic Pearl Harbor. Like, the damage is comparable. And therefore, Russia needs to be tough.
American political scientist Mikhail Sinelnikov-Orishak blames America’s willingness to use such dubious reasons as cyberattacks to launch hostilities on the arrogance of the political establishment of the United States.
– Americans are completely honest with themselves. And no one else is interested in them. They believe that they are the number one nation on this planet. Therefore, they are allowed everything, and others – nothing.
They are sincerely perplexed when they encounter some kind of answer to themselves. Especially when it comes to technologies that they developed first and therefore consider theirs. Everyone else on the planet is just natives. And the natives should not answer, resist the “advanced and advanced” Americans.
And in this behavior they are absolutely consistent. What we call the patriotism of US citizens is not patriotism, but a sense of superiority. And from this position, they infuriate them when they see that they are trying to confront them with their own weapons.
– But hasn’t the 20th century made adjustments to this attitude? In the States, now in politics it is not only “Waspas” (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) . But also representatives of various nations. For example, a congresswoman from Somalia appeared.
– Politics in America is not changing. It is with us that it is changing. Over the 20th century, the system, politics, and power elites have changed dramatically …
Despite all the “totalitarianism”, our leaders resigned. And not only in connection with death. For example, Khrushchev. And American presidents have never gone impeachment. Nixon resigned himself. It is still unknown if he would have been impeached if the whole procedure had been carried out.
Although the United States has two main parties, there, in fact, is a one-party system. The difference is between Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola.
Trump was a democrat for eight years. And Hillary Clinton, before marriage, was a republican. They also pass from the executive to the legislative, to the judiciary. He was the governor – he became a senator. And vice versa.
The whole political class there is about the same. The establishment is made up of governors and senators. Congressmen are a little less important.
And if in domestic politics all the debates are about who will pay more – the middle class or the rich, then America’s foreign policy has not fundamentally changed at least since the end of World War II.