It is difficult to deny that the Syrian Kurds have long been almost the main problem for all parties involved in the local conflict. Russia is no exception. The variability of the Kurds prevents Moscow from building a normal dialogue with them. It seems that at some point we were able to move in this direction, but here again the period of regression began. So, the other day, the official representative of the Popular Self-Defense Detachments Nuri Mahmud made a very controversial statement.
Firstly, he strongly doubted the ability of Damascus to conduct a military operation against the Popular Self-Defense Units. This was his response to the statement of the Syrian Minister of Defense, who promised, if the Kurds were unwilling to engage in normal dialogue, to start a military campaign against them. At the same time, Minister Ali Abdullah Ayub predicted victory for Damascus.
Following this, Mahmoud turned to reflections on the role of Russia in the Syrian crisis, and here he was even more harsh. According to him, Moscow generally no longer has any influence in Syria. And in general, from the very beginning of the war, its participation was “superficial.” Everything is so bad that even Assad is already completely free from instructions from the Kremlin.
As evidence of his words, the Kurdish activist cites Moscow’s “tacit” consent to the occupation of the Syrian territories. Mahmoud specifies – we are talking about Idlib, Afrin and other parts of northwestern Syria. The main idea of Mahmud in the Russian part of his statement can be called the following: “As for Syria, it Russia accepted short-term goals and agreed with Turkey to turn the Syrian crisis into a business.”
Obviously, with this attitude, the Kurds are unlikely to be perceived as potential partners in the Kremlin to solve the Syrian crisis. During the war years, the attitude of their leaders towards Russia changed many times. Just a few months ago, representatives of the Democratic Union party ruling in the self-proclaimed Syrian Kurdistan were looking for opportunities to reach an agreement with Damascus and Russia. For this purpose, even created a special commission. But it seems that this was happening only for one reason – US President Donald Trump announced the withdrawal of the US military from Syria. There was nowhere to go, so they went to the dialogue. However, it suddenly became known that Uncle Sam is in no hurry and is ready to talk with the Turks about the future of the Kurds and their place in Syria. Obviously, this circumstance allows people like Nuri Mahmud to make such statements to Russia.
Russian military expert Alexei Leonkov believes that the representative of the Popular Self-Defense Units could make such a statement only after agreement with the United States. And the main goal is to continue the war in Syria.
- This kind of statements are usually made only when there are certain forces behind the back. These same forces are responsible for the content of the text of the statement.
– Any employee of the State Department, for example?
– Quite possible. There are many American specialists in the Syrian territories occupied by Kurds. The United States, in fact, does not want to leave Syria. They are now looking for reasons to stay. And all sorts of representatives of the Kurds or other opposition groups are simply used as a tool to instigate war. That is, through such people they are trying to provoke hostilities.
The attacks on the main holiday of Christians may be revenge for the murder of Muslims in New Zealand.
– Why do the Kurds need it? The other day it became known that the United States practically agreed to move the detachments of people’s self-defense from the Turkish border. This is tantamount to betrayal.
- There is nothing surprising – the US often uses its supposedly allies, especially in this case, the problem for the Kurds is compounded by the fact that they could not fulfill the main task assigned to them by the United States – they could not irrevocably break off a piece from Syria. That is why the Kurds from the United States will not get anything.
– In the future, in general, possible dialogue between Damascus and the Kurds?
- They can not agree among themselves, what then to talk about others? In general, it is difficult to understand with whom to negotiate and how to do it. Notice that among the Kurds there are only generals, politicians and soldiers. For some reason, other specialists are in short supply – doctors, engineers, and so on. This to some extent characterizes their negotiability. But, I think that after the Americans left, most of the Kurds will still search the piece with Damascus, because the threat of war will cool the hot heads.