Anti-Iranian hysteria in Israel has reached its apogee, at least now it’s hard to imagine even more militant rhetoric. Almost every official, having nothing to do with the army and military affairs, considers it his duty to talk about the threat of Iran and the need to fight it. Sometimes it seems that the whole of both Netanyahu’s domestic and foreign policy is built on this. The press, which, it would seem, in a democratic state should acquaint the audience with different points of view, deals only with the fact that it supports this “party policy”.
Even the highly respected abroad newspaper Ha’aretz takes seriously to consider Tel Aviv’s quick war against Syria and Iran. To justify this publication, it should be noted that on its pages there are often excellent analytical materials, in which there is no propaganda and which objectively reflect what is happening, including in the Iranian-Israeli relations. But in this case, she echoes what Netanyahu is trying to convey to us daily.
The newspaper draws attention to the problem that is emerging for Tel Aviv in connection with the departure of the Americans from Syria, or rather, with the reduction of their forces. According to the authors, Washington, apparently, decided to transfer Syria to Moscow, and now Russia remains, one can say, the only chance for Israel to achieve its goals in the region. But the problem is that the Kremlin, one way or another, has already identified itself as a close ally of Iran. The latter is hostile to the Jewish state, which is why the situation is very complicated.
Further, the publication proceeds to the possible concrete actions of Israel in the event of Moscow’s refusal to resolve the Iranian problem. And what can Netanyahu or his successor as prime minister do? Perhaps, he will continue to strike at Hezbol and the Pasdarans (Guards of the Islamic Revolution – auth.), As it was done before? It turns out no. The IDF is likely to be assigned the task of striking objects that are extremely important for the Syrian regime. Initially, these should be military installations, and then, if there is no result, all the rest will fall under the distribution. Why do you need it?
Israeli experts believe that striking Iranian columns with weapons and Persian warehouses is actually not very effective. The fact is that Israel has already delivered hundreds, if not thousands of blows, but Tehran is still quite successfully building up its military presence in the SAR. And if this is not enough, then it will be necessary to go for the most stringent measures – an attack on objects within Iran itself. What is the logic? Well, there is hope that “the threat of military actions will force them (Moscow and the international community). To put the necessary pressure on Iran and Syria.”
Russian military expert Alexei Leonkov believes that this bellicose rhetoric, traced both in the media and in statements by Israeli officials, is associated with a belief in ambulance from the United States.
– Almost all the attacks that were previously committed by Israel in Syria, fell on Iranian targets. Yes, the Israelis, it turns out, fought with Iran, not with terrorists. And when Russia delivered the S-300 to Syria, and when the local air defense reached a new level, it became almost impossible to carry out the corresponding tasks. But the desire is still there. Perhaps, such activation would not have happened, despite desires, but now, it seems to me, there are certain grounds for this militant rhetoric. Recently, interesting information became known about the dispatch of new American UAVs Avenger to Syria (talking about the modification of the MQ-1 Predator). These are far from simple drones. General Atomics (company-manufacturer) has been promoting them for a long time, demonstrating the multiple advantages of this UAV. And often in commercials, the objects being destroyed are air defense systems, which strongly resemble Russian or Soviet-made systems. What are the features of this UAV? First, he has a jet engine, the speed develops up to 640 kilometers per hour. Secondly, it can be in the air continuously for up to eighteen hours. Third, it flies at altitudes, as stated, up to 18 kilometers. That is, it is difficult to distinguish for many air defense object. At the same time, it can be equipped with GBU-39 planning missiles. All this is pretty dangerous.
– Why are these drones in Syria?
– They are reportedly sent to Syria not through the US Department of Defense, but through the intelligence community. What exactly is not yet known. Perhaps the CIA. Of course, all this will be used to perform various sabotage missions. Most likely, the objectives of the Avenger will be just the Syrian air defense systems. There is an explanation. The fact is that from the Mediterranean Sea during all this time there have been a lot of visits of various UAVs to the Syrian and our air defenses. Especially often it began to happen after the collapse of our IL-20, when the Syrian sky was closed to Israel. All this was done in an effort to open the sky for the Israeli air force, so that they could continue to strike at the Iranians and destabilize Syria. It did not work out, and now in Israel they hope for these Avenger. Here, by the way, there is such a nuance – Russia can in no way influence this. If the UAV were sent through the US Department of Defense, then the question could be discussed and somehow influenced. But here everything is done through the intelligence community – the Americans themselves do not know where these intelligence officers are and what they do.
– What does it give to Israel?
- In Tel Aviv, they are probably hoping that the Americans will succeed in destroying Syrian air defenses, and after that the IDF will be able to continue destroying Iranian facilities almost unhindered.