Navy ships with Caliber missiles conducted reconnaissance off the coast of the United State.
By itself, the fact that a detachment of ships and support ships of the Northern Fleet headed by the frigate “Admiral Gorshkov” entered the port of the capital of Cuba Havana might have seemed insignificant if not for one circumstance. Russia is eyeing the possibility of returning to Cuba and, probably, resuming the activities of its military base there, which existed in Soviet times. Are the US getting closer? First of all, for missiles – as a response to the deployment of US missile defense systems in Europe. In this case, the likelihood of a new Caribbean crisis.
Recall that the term “Caribbean crisis” arose as a result of an extremely intense political, diplomatic and military confrontation between the USSR and the USA in October 1962. Then, back in 1961, the Americans placed their nuclear weapons in Turkey – on the line of aimed fire. In response, the Soviet Union secretly transferred and deployed its equipment and weapons, including nuclear weapons, to Cuba. The United States also came under fire. The crisis, which is called the “October crisis” in Cuba itself, could lead to a global world conflict. The story seems to be repeating. In response to the American tactical missiles, which are expected to be delivered to Poland and Romania by 2022, Russia can deploy its missiles in Cuba. For this it is necessary to reanimate your base there.
Russia now intends to return to its former military bases. Including on Lourdes in Cuba. Actually, this was what happened in recent years, when Russia, withstanding a powerful economic blow and political pressure, primarily from the United States, regained its status as a world power. And such “reference points” in the military confrontation with the far unfriendly countries represented by the NATO bloc are extremely necessary. Not as a springboard for aggression, but an opportunity to stop aggression. Preferably, on the distant approaches to their own borders.
Restoration of the rights of the Russian delegation to PACE will not change anything, except for new expenses for an outdated body.
In the early 90s of the last century, the United States, breaking the entire doctrine of the Russian (more recently, the Soviet army) were aimed at several key positions. First, make Russians put a “nuclear shield” under the knife, which included the “nuclear triad” – strategic missile forces, the nuclear submarine fleet and long-range strategic aviation. Secondly, to make believe that service in the Russian army is at least a disgrace and humiliation. Third, deprive potential alliance with any countries in the world. And at some stage Washington managed to partially fulfill these tasks. We used American money to cut missiles and submarines, leaving unique aircraft to rust on airfields. Every way scolded and branded his army. Virtually all former Warsaw Pact allies were released into NATO and abandoned their foreign bases.
In Cuban Lourdes, in the southern suburb of Havana, the Soviet center of electronic intelligence has been located since 1967. The main version of its mission – listening to US communications satellites, telecommunications cables and NASA. This center gave out coordinates for the purposes of Soviet missiles stationed in Cuba, which, if necessary, could hit in a matter of minutes the entire south coast of the United States. Base Lourdes “froze” in 2002. For the sake of the United States. But its technical condition was maintained by Russian specialists all these years, although nothing was known about specific agreements on it between Russia and Cuba.
- To reanimate the base in Lourdes is a matter of several months, – says military expert Vladislav Shurygin,
- The station is in working condition, but its functionality has already been partially lost. But there you can quickly install new equipment. We are not talking about rocket systems, they are simply not needed there, nor are the brigades of the marines who will swim across the Gulf of Mexico. This is an anachronism. But the special equipment, which is now in service, will make the United States completely defenseless against Russian means of destruction. It’s like a “bug” in the Oval Office of the White House, which allows you to know everything in advance.
– Cuba is far, Cuba is near – lines from the song of the Soviet times were devoted to the Island of Freedom.
The implication was that distant Cuba (9,500 km straight from Moscow) was almost the sixteenth republic of the USSR. Apart from the fact that we received almost a third of Cuban cane sugar, which was “sold by weight” in almost every rural store, the exotic Havana Club rum, which even Siberian men hung over, Cuban cigars, which were slightly more expensive than shag and Prima cigarettes Cuba was the very outpost of the Soviet Union off the coast of a completely non-friendly America, which made it possible to maintain the delicate balance of peace. During the “Caribbean crisis”, it was the presence of Soviet missiles in Cuba that prevented a global world crisis.
Such a status of the USSR in Cuba would not have been possible without the support of the leader of this country, Fidel Castro, who until his last years (died in 2016) was a supporter of friendly relations with the Soviet Union, and then with Russia.
– In the series of events and actions of the heroic epic of Fidel Castro and Cuba, we can emphasize the last 25 years, – said Alexander Zimovsky, a media expert who personally spoke with Castro. – After the disappearance of the USSR from the world map, Fidel Castro and Cuba were left alone with the United States and their satellites in the Western Hemisphere. And Fidel managed to save the country, practically, without changing anything, either in ideology or in economics. At a time when the former allied countries of the USSR went into oblivion, and various pro-Western regimes appeared in their place, Fidel continued to remain an example of a principled and unchanging foreign and domestic policy.
First, Cuba, having lost the economic support of the USSR, developed its own internal economic program.
Secondly, Castro was able to use the weakening of the US geopolitical positions in Latin America. That is, Fidel lived to the Latin American “left turn” and full-scale restoration of relations with the states south of Rio Grande.
Thirdly, the internal political situation in the USA has changed, where the “Latinos” have become one of the most influential groups of voters. Internal pressure has also led to a change in US policy towards Cuba.
About the longevity of Fidel, who survived almost all political leaders from the camp of both opponents and allies (Soviet General Secretary Leonid Brezhnev died back in 1982), legends and anecdotes went on during his lifetime. In one of them, it was said that when the Comandante, having received a parrot as a gift and having learned that he had lived for three hundred years, said sadly: “It will be a pity to leave.” Even transferring political power in Cuba to his brother Raul, Fidel remained not only a symbol of Cuba, but also an active participant in the events in the country. And when American President Barack Obama flew to Cuba, he ignored this fact and did not even comment on this event. As Raul Castro, who defiantly did not shake the outstretched hand of the American president – the Cubans do not forgive old grievances.
Some resentment of the Cubans in relation to Russia remained. When in the early 90s Moscow disowned Havana and curtailed both military and commercial presence in Cuba, Cubans bluntly declared betrayal. They sincerely believed in us and hoped for help. Now the relationship is almost back on track. On the Island of Freedom, they are ready to accept not only Russian tourists, but also the Russian military, as a guarantor of their own safety.
- It was a real catastrophe when Russia turned away from Cuba under American pressure, – recalls Pedro Prado, a former correspondent of the Cuban government newspaper Granma.
- But we knew very well that this was not the will of the Russian people, but only short-term circumstances. And then the Cubans did not allow themselves a single negative word addressed to your country, only a certain regret. Even when the representation of our newspaper in Moscow was closed, the tone of publications regarding Russia did not change. And the work of the Cuban embassy in Moscow has never ceased. And now the deterioration of our relationship will not happen. And the likelihood of the return of the Russian military base will be accepted with understanding and friendliness.